The PRL-350ECL-NIM is a ready-to-use, high speed dual-channel comparator module. The PRL-350ECL-NIM has a maximum clock frequency in excess of 1 GHz and has complementary NECL outputs designed for driving 50 Ω transmission lines terminated to 50 Ω/-2 V.
Both channels have a DC coupled 50 Ω input. The input threshold voltage can be selected either from a set of preset values of -400 mV, 0 V or +400 mV using a common three-position switch. The input Common Mode Range is -2.0 V to +3.0 V.
The input threshold voltage can also be varied independently in each channel by applying an external DC bias voltage or shunt resistor to the D input.
This high speed comparator is a Mini Modular Instrument™ that can be used as peak detector, threshold detector, sine wave to square wave converter, window comparator or differential line receiver, etc. Typical minimum input voltage required at 300 MHz is 10 mVPP into 50 Ω.
Each unit is supplied with a ±8.5 V AC/DC Adapter and housed in an attractive 1.3 x 2.9 x 3.9-in. extruded aluminum enclosure.
* Although the PRL-350ECL-NIM typically operates up to 2 GHz, the internal device is specified at 1 GHz by the device manufacturer; therefore the guaranteed fMAX is 1 GHz.
* For the PRL-350ECL-NIM an unused complementary output must be either terminated into 50 Ω/-2 V or AC-coupled into a 50 Ω load; otherwise, output waveform distortion and rise time degradation will occur. Use the PRL-550NQ4X, four channel NECL Terminator for the 50 Ω/-2 V termination and for connection of ECL signals to 50 Ω input oscilloscopes.
Anritsu Application Note for PON Module Testing with Anritsu MP1800A
Signal Quality Analyzer and PRL-350 Series Comparators (1.1 MB PDF)
BERT Level Translation
Anritsu engineers and customers around the world rely on our PRL-350 Series comparators for level conversion when testing Passive Optical Network (PON) modules.
PON module testing often requires converting the -1.0 to 0 V signals output by the MU181020A Pulse Pattern Generator cards to the LVTTL, PECL or LVPECL levels required by many ONU and OLT modules, typically for the Data, Pre-bias, and Reset signals.
Popular models include:
- PRL-350TTL-NIM, Dual Channel Comparator with TTL Outputs
- PRL-350LP-NIM, Dual Channel Comparator with LVPECL Outputs
- PRL-350P, Dual Channel Comparator with PECL Outputs
App Note and block diagram copyright and courtesy of Anritsu Corporation.
(0° C ≤ TA ≤ 35° C)*
Unless otherwise specified, dynamic measurements are made with all outputs terminated into 50 Ω/VTT, where VTT = -2 V for NECL outputs.
|ROUT||Output Resistance||NPN emitter||Ω|
|VTH+||Preset positive threshold voltage||396||400||404||mV|
|VTH-||Preset negative threshold voltage||-404||-400||396||mV|
|VTH0||Preset zero threshold voltage(1)||-2||0||2||mV|
|VOL||Output Low Level||-2||-1.6||-1.5||V|
|VOH||Output High Level||-1||-0.8||-0.6||V|
|IDC||DC Input Current||36/
|VDC||DC Input Voltage||±7.5||±8.5||±12||V|
|VAC||AC/DC Adapter Input Voltage||103||115||127||V|
|tPLH||Propagation Delay to output↑||1.5||ns|
|tPHL||Propagation Delay to output↓||1.5||ns|
|tSKEW||Skew between any 2 outputs||100||300||ps|
|Vin I||Minimum Input Voltage @ 150 MHz(3)||20||10||mVPP|
|Vin II||Minimum Input Voltage @ 250 MHz(3)||20||10||mVPP|
|Vin III||Minimum Input Voltage @ 1 GHz||250||100||mVPP|
|VCM||Input Common Mode Range||-2.0/+3.0||V|
|fmax||Max. Clock Frequency(4)||1000||2000||MHz|
|Size||1.3 x 2.9 x 3.9||in.|
|Weight, w/o AC adapter||7||Oz|
|Shipping weight, w/AC adapter||4||lb|
(1) If the switch is set to the center position (0 V threshold) a non-driven channel will oscillate and induce jitter in the driven channel. Connect any output to any input to stop the oscillation.
(2) 20%-80% for NECL. For the PRL-350ECL-NIM, an unused complementary output must be either terminated into 50 Ω/VTT or AC coupled into a 50 Ω load; otherwise, output waveform distortion and rise time degradation will occur. Use the PRL-ACT-50 Dual Channel AC-Coupled 50 Ω Termination for terminating unused complementary outputs. Use the PRL-550NQ4X, four channel NECL Terminator for the 50 Ω/VTT termination and for connection of NECL signals to 50 Ω input oscilloscopes. If preservation of DC levels is not required, then the PRL-SC-104A, 0.1 µf DC block or a 12 dB AC-coupled attenuator may be used to connect the NECL outputs to 50 Ω input instruments.
(3) In order to reduce jitter near fMAX, terminate the non-driven input into 50 Ω when the input voltage is less than 20 mVPP.
(4) Although the PRL-350ECL-NIM typically operates up to 2 GHz, the internal device is specified at 1 GHz by the device manufacturer; therefore the guaranteed fMAX is 1 GHz.